From humble beginnings
Measuring and Scientific Equipment, MSE, was founded in 1936 by Dr Ernest Foulkes, who had moved to the UK in the early 1930s from his native Germany. Starting out with very little capital – only £500 – but equipped with expertise, ambition and determination, Foulkes established MSE to make machine tools, which were then in short supply in Britain.
Throughout World War II, MSE were appointed by the UK Ministry of Supply to act in the vital role of lease lend agents for American machine tools. At this time the name stood for Machine Shop Equipment.